TRANSLATE

Monday, January 28, 2013

FIESTA 2013

In the PHILIPPINES, we have this tradition of celebrating the feast of a patron saint; WIKI defines the tradition way back when the SPANISH conquistadores arrived in the 1500’s where they arrival mounts a feast honoring the patron saint they bring that influence the country.  Nowadays FIESTA’s were celebrated to give thanks to the last year and celebrate the coming year with a feast; it’s a tradition that gives good luck to the new year.  Kinda like NEW YEAR but not on JANUARY first, more like CHINESE NEW YEAR, but the date differs depending on the patron saint.

Well so much on that, like the title said it was FIESTA 2013 on our old residence where I grew up, here in my current residence it’s on OCTOBER so you probably will read another blog about FIESTA 2013 – PART 02 on that month.  But I guess this FIESTA is better cause I get to mingle with my childhood friends and meet old acquaintances on the way.
Did you see how happy I am in the first pic, I did try my luck on this game “BASAGAN NG PALAYOK” its mainly hitting the pot hanging in the air with a stick as you make your way to it in blindfold, and to make this game more challenging you have to make round like about 3 to 5 times to dizzy your way on to the pot.  BTW I didn't break it, the girl after me does it, talk about woos.



Click HERE for the rest of the  pics


Other game includes, “PERA SA KAWALI” where contestants will get the coins glued to a charcoaled pot using their mouth, the contender who got the most coins win.  The contestants charcoaled stain face after the bout was priceless, really funny.

PERA SA HARINA” where contestants will blow the flour on a cup until the coin underneath will appear, the contender who blows best and find the coin faster wins.  This time the white flour face of the contestants will cheer you up.

SALUHAN NG ITLOG” this is a partner game where one of the partner's will throw the egg and the other will have to catch it, the distance varies until the other contestants won’t be able to catch the egg.

BASAGAN NG ITLOG” another partner game, both will have to hang an egg between their legs and sway to each other until the eggs get broken, the first couple to break both eggs wins.

And the traditional “BAKLAAN” competition, where straight men were dress to look like women and compete like a BEAUTY PAGEANT.  There’s three round in the competition just like Ms. UNIVERSE, traditional greetings where contestants will choose their sexy female celebrity counter part, talent competition where these gay for a night contestants mostly sings and try to sound like a girl and Q & A where funny questions were thrown unrelated and unnecessary.
It’s a funny tradition that I grow up with and done annually at every FIESTA, and if I may brag my brother is a past winner.

All in all it’s a fun event, I did enjoy the day and cant wait for the next year, I wonder if I’ll be lucky next year and break the pot, I guess I have the whole year to practice, LOL.

LOVE your KAPWA,
KRiS GIMENA

No comments:

Post a Comment